Summary – E & E Via 25% Technique
I once heard a saying, that staying committed to something is harder that holding a burning rock. You will most likely to let it go all the time.
Take exercising for example, one day you were watching a documentary on how overweight people exercise their way to fitness and suddenly you got that extra boost of motivation to start exercising. You ran for 1 hour immediately after work. This went on for about a week until one day you started skipping the routine. It is now thrice a week. In a month or so you find yourself not exercising at all. You are then frustrated and blame it all on your weak willpower.
Does this look very familiar to you? No worry, every person on this planet has experienced the same thing. Like I said, staying committed to something is always difficult.
I however have learnt a technique to keep the motivation high everyday. Trust me this technique is very effective and if you practise it today, you will be seeing the effect of your continuously high level of motivation tomorrow.
This is what I do.
Excitement & Embarassment via 25% Technique
Instead of running for 1 hour daily, I run for 15 minutes. Yes, only 15 minutes. Even though I know that my body can withstand running for 1 hour, I stop running after 15 minutes. I will usually end up enjoying every seconds of that 15 minutes and getting excited for the next 15 minutes session tomorrow.
One of the most reliable way to stay motivated is to keep the excitement level high. This is what I do when I run at about 25% of what I am capable of. I know deep down that I can always do more, so everyday I will challenge myself by saying “If I can’t even run for 15 minutes, I will be very embarassed with myself.”
I don’t know about you, but it works for me.
Why This Technique Works?
1) You know you can do it anytime anywhere. It is only about 25% of your limit.
2) You will feel embarassed if you cannot finish it.
3) If for some reason you skip a day, you can redo the two day exercise by exercising at 50% your limit the next day.
4) After a while your body will begin to adapt to the 25% limit you set. You will notice that running for 15 minutes is not making you sweat anymore. This is a sign that you need to change your limit. Maybe start running for 30 minutes.
In other words, you are actually seeing yourself getting stronger. Who wouldn’t want that?
- Cleaning the house – Even if you can clean the whole house, try only vacuuming the floor every day.
- Blogging – Instead of posting one entry everyday, why not make it once every 4 days. Even if you already prepared 2 entries, publish it only after 4 days.
- Finishing an assignment – You can choose to work on your assignment all day long or you can set 2 hours everyday and finish it within a week.
If you were to run only 15 minutes everyday your entire life, it will contradict with the whole idea of self improvement since you are not improving. This technique is meant only to help keep the motivation high every day. Once you are able to turn the exercise into a habit (action that comes naturally to you), you are free to stretch the limits accordingly.
– I Wonder –
How do you sustain your motivation? Any tips?
———- Personal Note ————
It is one of my resolution this year to reduce my weight to about 65 kg. Now that I have made this public, I will have to work even harder to achieve it.
Photo Credit – Eneas